Sunday, November 6, 2011

Shrimp, Wild Rice & Wine Casserole

Oh my!  I could not WAIT to share this recipe with you all!  I "tweaked" the original version by Paula Deen.  This is good enough to serve for a formal dinner party and, I think it would be awesome for your Thanksgiving meal.  I made this for my dear friend's birthday supper on Friday night and, I tell you...they cleaned their plates (me too!).   *Easily prepared the night before and, all you have to do is bake it right before serving. 


Shrimp, Wild Rice & Wine Casserole 


2 packages Uncle Ben's Wild Rice (prepare according to the package directions)
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, and cut in half 
1 stick butter
1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 white onion, chopped
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
3/4 soup can full - white wine (I used Chardonnay)
3 cups sharp Cheddar
Ground Sea Salt to taste  (start with 1 t. and, add more as needed) 
Pepper, to taste


Grease a 9 x 13 glass baking dish.  Prepare the rice, according to the package directions (make 2 boxes in one pan).  In another skillet, melt the butter and sautee' the onion and bell pepper until soft, about 5 minutes.  To this mixture, add the cream of mushroom soup, the white wine, 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shrimp (raw) and salt and pepper.  Fold in the wild rice to the sauce.  Pour the mixture into the glass dish.  Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, until edges are bubbling.  *Option:  Prepare the night before.  Cover with plastic wrap and tin foil and, place in the refrigerator.  


*Per my mom, shrimp cook so quickly, you want to place the shrimp in the casserole raw.  The shrimp will be perfectly cooked after baking.  


Serve this with a good tossed salad and hot rolls and, the meal will be perfect!  




Here is the mixture in the skillet...right before I added the cheese. 

I love the color of these pretty shrimp!  


Cream of mushroom soup...something I always have on hand.



I made this the night before...wrapped with plastic wrap...ready to go in to the refrigerator.



Oh my...I wish you could TASTE this right now....really is so good!!!!  =)






I truly hope you enjoy this wonderful and easy recipe over the holidays.


Cooking With Flair,
Beth




Linking To:
Tidy Mom
A Southern Fairy Tale

Weekend Bloggy Reading

Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing
Seasonal Sunday Teapot copy

3 comments:

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

This sounds like perfect comfort food!!!

Debbiedoos said...

Looks wonderful and easy too. Thanks for sharing.

Helen's Decor said...

Beth, thanks for sharing the Shrimp and Wild Rice Casserole recipe.

Merry Christmas, Helen