Sunday, March 13, 2011

GREAT KITCHEN DESIGN

Kitchens!  We spend frequent time in this room every day.  I believe this room should be your favorite room in the house.  You cook, clean and cook and clean some more in this space.  Go ahead and dream about ways to make your kitchen updated.  A new coat of paint can totally change the look of the room. A new light fixture or, a new counter top can also change the look.  No matter what your budget, you can complete a small project or a large one.  


Here are a few ideas to get you started:

From TRADITIONAL HOME.  One of my ALL TIME favorite design magazines!  This kitchen is light and calm.  I love the contrast of the wood floors with the white cabinets.  One of my favorite white paint colors for wood work is DOVER WHITE (SW6385) by SHERWIN WILLIAMS.  The light fixtures in this kitchen are a wonderful focal point.  You can find a similar look at LOWE'S.  
Lowe's stock GREAT light fixtures for an even
GREATER price. 
Gwyn Duggan Design.  From SOUTHERN ACCENTS.  I regret to mention that this magazine is no longer in print.  A GREAT resource!  This kitchen is AWESOME! The white wing back chairs are neat and clean.  The twin lamps are a nice detail and, the crisp window treatments add nice symmetry to the room.
Looking for wing back chairs? 
BALLARD DESIGNS offer wonderful furniture in light colored fabrics. 
This kitchen was featured on the cover of SOUTHERN ACCENTS MAGAZINE and I was completely inspired!  I painted our midtown Memphis home kitchen cabinets this same red and, it added a great POP of color.  The color is CHANTICLEER by SHERWIN WILLIAMS, SW2912.  The designer is SUSAN MASSEY from Florida. The cabinets were painted with nine coats of high gloss paint.  The cabinets in my former house were painted with two coats.  A GREAT color!  Notice the black granite counter tops.  I currently have black granite in my kitchen and, it creates a great and classic look in a kitchen. The color of my counters are ABSOLUTE BLACK.
This kitchen by SUZANNE KASLER is INCREDIBLE!   The  CARRARA MARBLE  counter tops are FABULOUS!  I do believe CARRARA MARBLE is my favorite surface for a kitchen.  GORGEOUS! Look at the beautiful blue glass subway tile back splash.  Check for a similar style at ANN SACKS.  The light fixtures are a clean and crisp design.  Check POTTERY BARN for a look similar to this photo.  The rattan blinds are a nice contrast and, I have located blinds like these at HOME DEPOT.  FLAIR TIP:  Using blinds eliminates the need to add fabric window treatments.  The blinds are simple and, are an
economical way to "dress" a window. 

1 comment:

Brooke G. said...

just saying you just melted my heart with these kitchens.. keep me dreaming