Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Getting Away To A Favorite Southern Town


Photo Credit:  Oxford, MS Chamber of Commerce

Oxford, Mississippi is truly one of my favorite small towns.  Just 75 miles south of Memphis, I can easily come here for the day or, like today,  a sweet one night 'escape', a sweet surprise from my husband, John Bryson.

Fortunate for me, my former sales territory ( 6+ years) included Oxford, and, I know the lay out here very well.  Over the years, I have made many fun memories in this neat town.  For instance, two years ago, our "Supper Club" came here over New Year's weekend and, we had such fun!   Last year, my girlfriend planned a really fun birthday "slumber party" (in my honor) here and,  five of us stayed at a fantastic condo and, had a ball! 

I love traditions and, keeping with this, I usually always stay at the Downtown Oxford Inn.  A nice little hotel that is within walking distance of The Square....where all the neat shops and eateries are.  The Inn is "no frills" and, it suits me just fine.  


A great shoe store right on University Drive.
    Neilson's Department Store, the south's oldest department store...  Awesome!    Right on the square.  They have everything from clothing to a make-up counter to shoes to housewares- an old-fashioned/rare department store- LOVE IT! 
The Lafayette County court house sits in the middle of the beautiful Oxford square.
Ajax Diner .  Awesome food!  They have a great "meat and three" plate at lunch time!  DELISH! 
I ventured out and tried a GREAT newer restaurant for dinner tonight!  Round Table .  Their hamburger is one of the best I have had in a long time!  I am somewhat of a "burger expert" (self-nominated....ha!)- their burger was AMAZING!!! 
The famous CIty Grocery.   Chef   John Currence is a 2009 James Beard Foundation Award Winner.  He also owns:  Boure, Big Bad Breakfast and Snackbar in Oxford.   Every one of these fabulous eateries are a MUST-TRY! 
Square Books.  A wonderful and historic book store.     I found a great box of Crane stationary
here today and, a birthday gift for a dear friend.

Any time I am especially excited about a destination, I feel the urge to buy a t-shirt to commemorate the visit.  I found this neat Vineyard Vines shirt today and, am wearing it right now.



The agenda for tomorrow?  A great cup of coffee and danish at Bottletree Bakery and, then, a visit to Oxford Floral.  


You really need to plan a visit to this amazing southern town.  You will love it!  Voted one of the top 6 towns to retire in, by Kiplinger's magazine (2005). 

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I love Oxford, too! I keep trying to convince my little rock friend that they HAVE to go!