Monday, July 4, 2011

Summer Re-Decorating with Flair- 5 Easy Ideas

I have been "freshening up" our home this summer and, I wanted to share with you a couple of ideas.  Re-covering furniture is an economical way to get a whole new design in your home.  Check in your area for a reputable upholsterer.  Here in Memphis, TN.,  I use Douglas Upholstery.  Mr. Douglas is very nice to work with and, he has a fast turn around time.  


1) I changed the wall paper in our hall bathroom and, painted the cabinet and sconces under the sink, a cream shade.  'SAIL CLOTH' by Benjamin Moore.


2) I hired a painter to paint the children's bathroom a bright and "happy" green.  The paint shade is 'Dill Pickle' by Benjamin Moore


3) I selected two new rug patterns and had them cut and bound for the master bath and entry hall.  A wonderful place to find rugs in Memphis, TN is at Kiser's.  The new rugs truly "make" the space. 


4) I re-arranged the book shelf in our family room.  First, remove each item from the shelves.  Make a plan as to which objects you will add.  Arrange the items until everything looks nice and to scale. 


5) I added new decorative pillows on the master bed.  The aqua blue pillows with bead work add a nice touch. 


*A great way to achieve a fresh look in your home is to replace lamps or, simply, move them around from room-to-room.  TJ Maxx is one of my favorite stores to find neat lamps and, at a great price point! 


I found this fabric for $12.99/yard here in Memphis, TN at Discount Fabrics on Summer Ave. 
A second 'new' chair . The 8 X 8 decorative pillow is from Target .
A new area rug in the entry hall
A new look for a beloved chair.  My Grandmother bought this for me for my first college apartment.
This is the fifth time I have re-covered it.

A new runner in the master bath.  The geometric print is a nice touch. 
A pair of new pillows for the master bed.  The bead work adds interest.
I am a blue and white kind of girl.  These square plates are a clean look. 

New paint in the children's bathroom really allows the shower curtain and art work to stand out.  This painting is by Paul Edelstein.  A local Memphis, TN artist.  
The new wall covering is by Anderson.  The sconces were formerly an antique green.  I spray painted them with cream spray paint.  I used a silver paint pen to add a decorative design to each lamp. 

Take a look around your home and, implement these quick and easy ideas for giving your rooms a tidy and fresh new design.  Decorating with Flair...one of my favorite hobbies. 



No comments: